Are you wondering why we need the best water filtration system backpacking?
The answer is simple, we know that the acquisition of clean water is significant if you are hiking in the backcountry. You need it to keep yourself healthy and to avoid specific problems like stomach pain.
The water of rivers and mountain lakes looks entirely clean, but it is not safe to use that water for drinking purposes. It is risky for your health.
Hikers, hunters, campers, and many other people visiting the backcountry need a lot of water every day. When they feel thirst, they rush towards the lake and river water to drink it.
A lot of pesticides, viruses, and bacteria are existing in the river water. These microorganisms are capable to quickly turn your adventure into a painful experience.
Different methods available there that provide clean drinking water free from bacteria and other viruses. For example, you can boil the water before drinking or use a water filtration system.
But, we know that you can’t boil the water during hiking or traveling. Therefore, backpacking water filtration systems are available to help you. These filters purify the water from different microorganisms and keep you healthy.
07 Best water filtration system backpacking – Top-Rated Products
If you are looking for backpacking filter systems, then you are in the right place. In this article, we are going to discuss different backpacking water filtration systems. We will let you know their various features and advantages that help you to select the best one for your trip.
Check the Related article: 06 Best Under Sink Water Filtration System of 2019 | Buying Guide
There are different brands available offering filters with different qualities. Everyone claims to be the best one. These filters are small and portable. Let’s have a look at the best brands available in the market.
01. Sawyer Products MINI Best water filtration system backpacking
- High-quality filter: This filtration system has a 0.1-micron filter that is perfect for removing bacteria, protozoa, and other harmful viruses.
- Easy to use: This system comes with a reusable pouch and filter; this allows you to take some clean water from rivers or mountain lakes and attach the straw-like filter. With this simple step, you can get clean water.
- Tested three times: This filter is tested first at the time of element construction and twice after the complete assembling to ensure the removal of any deficiency.
Sawyer provides purification products in the market for almost ten years and famous due to the quality of its products. It helps hikers and different groups of people by providing clean water around the world.
This product from the sawyer is small enough to carry with anywhere and fits in the palm of your hand very well.
This is lightweight and weighs only two ounces but facilitates you with perfect working and it is capable of removing the hazardous particles up to 0.1 microns, which is enough to clean the water for drinking.
It is reliable and removes the bacteria and protozoa up to 99.99%. It looks like a drinking straw and fits on most of the disposable.
02. Platypus Gravity Works 4 L Complete Water Filter Kit
- Compliant with NSF/EPA guidelines: It is designed as per the guidelines of NSF/EPA to ensure the purification of water from different viruses up to 99.99%.
- Complete accessories: This filter comes with two pouches, one for clean water while the other for dirty water. A hollow fiber microfilter, shutoff clamp, hoses, and a storage sack is also available in packing.
- High capacity: It is capable of filtering the four liters of water in just 2.5 minutes and filters up to 15,000 gallons.
The filter kit from platypus is perfect to use for a group of people. If you are traveling, you’re your friends and need more water to satisfy the needs of drinking.
The platypus filter system provides you clean water free from harmful bacteria and viruses, and you can save up to four liters of water in the water reservoir supplied with it.
This high capacity and the gravity-fed system require no pump to clean the water. Just fill the reservoir with dirty water and hang it somewhere.
The filter is existing between the tube that connects the dirty water reservoir with a clean water reservoir. With this process, the dirty water automatically transfers in the clean bag after filtration.
03. MSR Mini Works Best water filtration system backpacking
- Easy to maintain: The filter of this system is easy to clean and remove during hiking or camping without using any tools.
- High-quality filter: This filter is capable of removing the unpleasant odors and tastes from the water like chlorine, iodine, and pesticides.
- NSF protocol P321: It is designed as per the instructions of NSF protocol 321 to effectively remove the protozoa and different microorganisms.
MSR mini works are considered as the perfect filter for camping by a different group of people. It is specially manufactured for large volume and consistent use. This filter provides you with the best results in different environmental conditions.
This filter system is equipped with a replaceable ceramic element filter with a capacity to filter the water up to 2,000 liters. It is easy to use and replace the filters without the use of any tools. A pump is included in this system that purifies the one-liter water in just one minute.
The filter used in this system is compatible to use with different open mouth bottles and hydration bladders.
04. Katadyn Vario Water Filter
- High capacity filter: It is equipped with a 15 Oz filter that is capable of filtering the 500 gallons of water effectively.
- Dual working modes: You can operate this filter on long-life mode for getting 1 quart per minute of use the faster flow mode for 2 quarts per minute.
- Replaceable carbon core: It makes the water fresh and free from odors, toxins, and chemicals for the whole life of the cartridge.
Katadyn Vario introduces this filter system in a unique design and facilitates the users with maximum output against little efforts. This filter system uses dual-piston technology with three levels of filter made with glass fiber. A ceramic pre-filter is used to adjust the cloudiness of water and activated charcoal for removing the odor from water.
This filter has two modes. It either filters the water at the rate of one quart per minute at more extended life mode or filters the two quarts per minute when using in the faster flow mode.
It is equipped with replaceable carbon core to ensure the removal of pesticides, different chemicals, and bad tastes from water.
05. Katadyn BeFree 1.0L Water Filter
- High capacity: This filter system is designed to filter up to 1,000 liters of water without using any device of chemicals.
- Flow rate: This filter is capable of filtering the water at the rate of 2 liters per minute.
- EPA standards: It is designed as per the instructions of EPA standards and uses a 0.1-micron filter to ensure the filtration process removes the bacteria and protozoa up to 99.9%.
Katadyn BeFree water filter is a lightweight and affordable filter. It is designed to facilitate the users for using during the backcountry outings. This filter system consists of a flexible bottle.
You have to fill the bottle with water and put the filter over it. Now gently squeeze the bottle to get fresh water free from hazard particles.
This filter bottle is small in size and easily adjustable in small space. No backflushing or tools are required to clean the filter. You can clean the filter by just swishing and shaking the filter.
06. GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Best water filtration system backpacking
- High flow rate: This purifier is capable of purifying the 500ml water in just 15 seconds and doesn’t need an extra bottle to attach with it.
- High-quality filter system: It is capable of removing the impurities and different chemicals up to 99.99%.
- Tested properly: This product is tested with third-party laboratories to ensure the quality of water purified with it.
GRAYL ultra-light water purifier is perfect to use during traveling within the city of short trips in the backcountry. This purifier is capable of eliminating viruses effectively.
This purifier is manufactured with three-level technologies. At first level, a dual-layer of non-woven ceramic fiber is used to provide the users with a durable and rugged base.
At the second level, ion exchange is used to ensure the removal of pathogens and chemicals. This ion-exchange method helps to retain the impurities inside the bottle and passes the clean water only.
At the third level, activated carbon grips over the odors and different tastes with some heavy metals to ensure the quality of water.
07. Katadyn Gravity Camp 6 L Water Filter
- Suitable capacity: This filter comes with a bag with an ability to store 6 liters of water and capable of filtering the water up to 1500 liters.
- Perfect flow rate: It is equipped with a 0.2-micron filter with an ideal flow rate that purifies the water at the rate of 2 liters per minute.
- Complete accessories: It also includes different accessories like 48 inches hose with fittings and field cleanable filters. Moreover, it has a protector, sponge for cleaning, on/off hose valve, and deluxe carry bag.
Katadyn introduces the gravity camp water filter in an ideal design that is capable of creating considerable volumes in a short time. This thing makes it perfect to use for more people at the same.
It comes with a bag with a wide mouth opening that is easy to fill and stores up to 6 liters of water at the same time.
This product is affordable and comes in a small size like double than the hand wash station or shower. It is compatible to use with different hydration bladder systems.
This filter is placed inside the bag and doesn’t need an extra bag for the storage of clean water. It is equipped with a 0.2-micron filter that is perfect for removing the different particles harmful to health.
Conclusion: (Best water filtration system backpacking)
No doubt, clean water is essential for health, especially when you are going hiking or camping. For this purpose, different water purifiers and backpacking water filters are available.
In the above article, we discussed different backpack filters and purifiers that work in different ways with various features and advantages.
These are proficient to purify the river water that looks clean at first sight. But there are different particles included in water that are harmful to health and can destroy your joy during traveling or camping.